Water Purifiers have become pivotal in every household. With the plethora of purification technologies available in the market, consumers are often confused which one to look for while purchasing a water purifier, with the most common and effective being RO purification. RO or Reverse osmosis is a water purification process that uses a partially permeable membrane to remove ions, unwanted molecules and harmful particles from drinking water.
Below are 5 reasons why you need a RO water purifier:
- Removes disease-causing contaminants: In Urban India, 70% of Households rely on tap water and 27% rely on ground water for their drinking water needs (Based on Census 2011 data – Drinking Water Source by Households). These sources of water can be a common carrier of various disease-causing microbiological contaminants like viruses, bacteria, fungus and parasites. These contaminants make the water unfit for consumption and may lead to several water-borne diseases like cholera, diarrhoea and typhoid. As a result, experts recommend using a RO water purifier that can protect you and your family from these water-borne diseases by removing all the life-threatening contaminants.
- Sweetens the taste of water: The impurities in the water influence its flavour and even the taste of food we cook in it. A RO water purifier is especially recommended when the taste of water is salty, in other words when it has higher concentration of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) like sodium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc. Typically, when the TDS level is higher than 200 ppm, RO purification reduces the excess TDS, softens and sweetens the taste of water, while retaining only pure drinking water.
- Removes Heavy Metals: As per studies conducted across multiple cities to check the water quality of tap water/river water, it’s been indicated that the water is unsafe for drinking purpose as it has higher level of contaminants like Nitrates, Heavy metals, pesticides etc than permitted levels*. These heavy metals can have severe long-term health impacts and can dysfunction kidneys, liver, nervous system and even lead to diseases like cancer and lead poisoning. A RO water purification is the most effective way of removing these heavy metals and chemicals like iron, lead, mercury, arsenic, chlorine, and fluoride. All the physical contaminants, micro-organisms are also filtered by a RO purifier which makes it 100% unadulterated for consumption.
- Effective Water Purification: RO water purification provides added layer of protection compared to just using UF or UV filtration technology as it can remove the minutest of the chemical contaminants which might bypass the other filtration technologies when used alone. Combining RO water purification with UV filtration ensures purest drinking water free of any form of contaminants. Pureit has a wide range of RO+UV water purifiers that are assured to give you 100% purified water. Explore the range here
- Offers various Health Benefits: Drinking RO purified water enhances our overall health and well-being. It improves digestive health, supports kidney function, hydrates and energizes our body, improves skin and hair health along with several other benefits.
In the current scenario where fear of contamination and spread of germs, bacteria and viruses has become a real threat, using a Pureit RO water purifier can keep all your worries at bay.
References:Multiple studies - Kumar et al. (2013), reported Nitrate >45 ppm in Gomati River which is the major source of supply water in Lucknow, Bhardwaj, et al., (2017), reported heavy metal contamination in river Yamuna 2014-15, Sundaray et al 2012 studied quality of ten Indian revers and found out presence of heavy metals six rivers are contaminated with Lead of higher concentrations ranged between 19 – 136ppb, exceeding BIS drinking water norms Similarly five rivers were found to be contaminated with Nickel of concentrations ranging between 24 – 375ppb.
Is RO water purifier good for health?
This is a very common question on what is RO in water purifier? A RO purifier consists of membrane technology that cleans total dissolved solids (TDS) from the tap water. Some purifiers also consist of TDS Controllers which help in maintaining the essential minerals in the water. RO water is completely safe and healthy to intake, and it is even one of the best options for today's environment.
Why is RO needed?
An RO water purifier is among the most effective ways to remove heavy metals and chemicals like iron, lead, mercury, arsenic, chlorine, and fluoride from water. It is also capable of filtering out all the physical contaminants and micro-organisms which makes it 100% unadulterated for consumption.
What is the use of an RO water purifier?
Every RO water purifier uses a semi-permeable membrane which forces salty water to move. In this process, the filter removes contaminants such as arsenic, nitrates, sodium, copper and lead, and some organic chemicals. It also helps to convert hard water to sweet, and soft water using a RO membrane.
What are the benefits of the RO water purifying system?
There are a number of benefits of RO water purifier, like: it simplifies water filtration, it eliminates all kinds of harmful impurities, it blocks all kinds of contaminants, it helps in eliminating chemicals from the water, and it is easy to maintain and generally requires maintenance only once in every six months.
Which is better RO or UV Water Purifier?
If RO and UV water purifiers are compared, then it is evident that RO is more effective in purifying water than the UV system. UV purifiers can only disinfect the impure water which protects you from water-borne diseases. It is unable to remove harmful dissolved salts and heavy metals from water. However, a combination is ideal.